Saturday 22 May 2021

Autumn with the Honeyfurs

I hope you have all been having a pleasant autumn or spring! 

Some of you may remember the Honeyfur family, who I wrote about a couple of years ago here. I thought it was time to catch up with them again, especially because I wanted to do an autumn themed post.

It has been nearly three years since the Honeyfur family traded their settled lives in the village for a life of travel and adventure in their gypsy caravan. Their days spent journeying and exploring the woods are always full of anticipation, but for the winter they usually find a safe place to settle down for the chilly days ahead. 


Velvette likes to keep plenty of food in their store in preparation for the wintry months. Even though they are able to get out and travel to the village if they need to, it is in her instincts to stock up. Not to mention the fact that her family are voracious eaters. 


Most of the food in her supply came from the Village Store, owned and run by Cedric Walnut. It has been a part of village life for so long that Velvette doesn't know any different to having the convenience of the supermarket; however, she can remember her grandmother telling different stories. 
Granny Vixen, as she was known, used to reminisce about a time when the only supplier in the village was the Thistlethorn family, who still to this day, ran the Mill, producing all kinds of flour. Apart from them there was the daily milk provisions, delivered daily to each garden gate by the trusty old milkman. Everything else, according to Granny Vixen, was either grown in your own garden or reaped off the woodland. Every spare ounce of food or vegetable was either pickled or squirreled away for the winter. In her words 'Nature provides...it always does.'


Nowdays, Velvette doesn't have to rely quite as much on the woods to provide food for her family, which she supposes is a relief. However, they still like to enjoy the bounty of the land.
Juniper, Barley and Pumpkin had just arrived back from a successful morning's foraging. 
"Look Mama! We got a whole basketful!"


"Wonderful, my darlings!" Velvette peered into the laden basket. "We can have mushroom and pumpkin pie for dinner tonight and you can help me make apple crumble for dessert!" 
Pumpkin licked his licks. His mama's apple crumble is one of his favourites.


Pumpkin's favourite season is autumn. He loves all the pretty colours, and the leaves are very fun to play in!


Living in the forest means that everything is already wild, so there is never any need to rake leaves up! Pumpkin thinks he likes it much better that way!


Autumn, growing cooler in the lead up to winter, is the time of year when Pumpkin begins to keep his special blue blankie closer to him than usual. Velvette knitted it for him last year and it fast became his most treasured possession. 
Unlike most children his age, Pumpkin doesn't have alot of toys, but that fact seldom seems to bother him. As far as he is concerned, he has just as much fun exploring the woodland with his brother and sister, or sitting up beside his daddy at the reins as they travel, watching the world passing by. 


Evenings are the children's favourite time, when, if it isn't too chilly, they sit outside snuggled in their sleeping bags, listening to their father's latest stories as the autumn sun sinks below the trees. Glen has written a novel, along with other non-fiction books about plants, and he is always brimming with new ideas. Some evenings, he reads to the children his day's work from his latest manuscript. Other times, he dreams up a story for them on the spot. The characters from his book become almost like friends to Juniper, Barley and Pumpkin.
"Tell us a story, Papa."
"Hmm... let's see. Once upon a time there were three young cubs..."
The children think that surely there is no better thing in the world than having their own papa tell them his very own stories, listening to his voice and the sound of nature telling its own story as it beds down for the night, with the rustling of the trees and singing of the thrush in the oak tree above.



I hope you enjoyed this little story. I'm afraid I have been a bit quiet on this blog the past year or so. I have simply been lacking in inspiration as well as motivation to take pictures and write stories. I guess it isn't unusual to take breaks from hobbies or lose enthusiasm from time to time. Hopefully writing this post might help to get me more inspired... What do you do when you go through a time of demotivation with Sylvanians?
Have a great week! 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kelsie!

    Lovely to reacquaint myself with the Honeyfur family (I refreshed my memory with your convenient link - thank you). Pumpkin is a cutie! Fun to see him playing in the leaves, and endearing to see him snuggled up with his sibling in the sleeping bag. Velvette is a good mum, looking after her adored family with those provisions. I wonder if Barley is as adventurous and still not keen on schoolwork! Maybe his dad inspires him.

    Lovely story. The wonderful thing about Sylvanians is that they are patient when you're involved with other activities, but rewarding when you return to them.

    I hope you're keeping well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackson! Thank you so much for your kind comment! I'm glad you enjoyed this little story!
      I had fun including Pumpkin in the story! The babies always add that extra cuteness!
      Barley's outlook on schoolwork still hasn't changed; he would much rather be doing something active! But Velvette is learning to understand him more and has been channeling his interests with subjects like Geography and the Histories of great Sylvanian explorers. He has also come to cherish the hours he spends tagging along with his dad as they walk in the woods.
      Thanks again for your kind words! Stay safe!

      Delete
  2. Another warm and inspiring story Kelsie. I would like to be like the Honeyfur family and be able to travel around in a gypsy caravan and forage for food. I would have to know though which foods are safe to eat. I do love Pumpkin's blankie. Velvette is a very kind and caring Mama. Once again your words have placed me right in the story and I thank you. I know you have such a busy life and you can only do so much in a day. The Sylvanian are happy in their little village and they will wait patiently for your visits to them. I often suffer from a lack of motivation and especially when I have a gripping book to read. I think it is harder to get motivated when Winter comes. Love n hugs. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely words, Pamela! It's encouraging to know that you enjoyed the story! I too would like to be a Sylvanian sometimes!
      You're right about learning which foods are safe or not-the Honeyfur children had to learn that and be on their guard always while foraging. Most plants are safe, but their are some fungi and plants that they have to watch out for. At the moment, Glen is teaching Pumpkin to recognise the difference between a toadstool and a mushroom.
      What you said about Sylvanians is quite true. And I do agree about it being hard to do things while reading a good book, haha! Thank you once again for your encouragement and kind words. xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Kelsie!

    What a lovely story, perfect for Autumn. I loved reading about the Honeyfurs again, such a beautiful family! They live such an idyllic and peaceful life! Little Pumpkin is the cutest, the picture with him on the leaf pile is so adorable! I also loved the one with the whole family outside at night listening to Glen's stories.

    I too have been lacking the motivation to play with my Sylvanians lately, it's been a tough year. At these times the only thing to do might be to take a break. The Sylvanians will be waiting for us!

    Hope you're doing well!

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell! I'm so sorry for my late reply!
      Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you liked the story!
      Pumpkin is a sweetie. I love including babies in my stories because they add an extra cute factor!
      You're very right- the good thing about Sylvanians is that they are a hobby that you can pick up or take a break from whenever you need to. I hope that you too get some inspiration back to play with your collection.
      Have an awesome week!

      Delete
  4. Hi Kelsie, sorry it has taken me this long to catch up on your blog!
    I really loved this story about the Honeyfurs; you have captured a real sense of place, and the atmosphere of their life in the woods, so beautifully.
    As you say, there is no harm in taking a break from a hobby. Your Sylvanians will be eagerly waiting to welcome you back each time you return. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment GreyRabbit, and not to worry about commenting late! I apologise for me taking so long to reply!
      It makes me so happy that you enjoyed this story, and a great compliment that you say I have captured that woodland atmosphere. The Honeyfur's have such a peaceful way of life, I wouldn't mind to live that way myself!
      Thank you again for your encouragement! I hope all is well with you.
      Have a lovely day! :)

      Delete