Sunday 14 July 2019

A New Home for the Buckleys

One fine Saturday morning, Mrs Buckley was catching up with her good friend Mrs Hawthorn, walking in a peaceful, secluded part of the forest not far from the village. She had left her husband at home on 'twin watch'. Maria and Freddy were at a friend's house, and Meadow had taken the oppurtunity to have some quality time with little Oscar.


The ladies were just gossiping about the price of perfume at a local shop when Mrs Buckley caught sight of something over a particularly bushy hedge.


"Blossom," she said, "Have you ever noticed that house?"
"What house? Oh, you mean the one over there? Why it's been empty for years. No one lives there... Although I think Bob Blackberry owns it..." Mrs Hawthorn said, knowing everyone's gossip.


"See, here's the garden gate. Bob obviosly forgot he owns the old place or isn't too keen on being a tidy gardener!"


Sure enough, Mrs Hawthorn led her along the hedge to a very overgrown garden gate. The whole place certainly seemed deserted. You couldn't even see the lawn!


"I can't believe I never noticed it before..." Mrs Buckley said. She'd lived in Bluebell Oaks a long time, but had never encountered this house.
At that moment, who should come clip clopping down the road but Bob Blackberry and his horse Blacksocks, on their way to the Saturday Farmer's Market.


"Good morning ladies! Everything alright?" He called cheerily.
"Splendid, thank you Bob," Mrs Hawthorn said, "We were just talking about you. You own this old house in here, don't you?"


"Aaah, yes," Bob jumped off the cart. "I haven't been in here for a long time... Inherited the place from some great uncle or rather..." He mused, "Although we've got the farm so we could never live there."


He leaned on the garden gate."Yes, perhaps I did let it get abit overgrown... I've been trying to get rid of the place for years-I've got enough on my paws looking after Blackberry Farm!"


"Anyway, I must be on my way. See you around!" He jumped on the cart and trotted away.
They continued on their walk, but Mrs Buckley couldn't stop thinking about the secluded house and its overgrown garden. There was something about the place that seemed to draw her in, she just couldn't quite put her finger on what it was...


Later that evening in her own home, Meadow told her husband about her discovery that morning.
"Do you mean that old overgrown place?" Heath asked, "What's so special about it?"


"We could live there Heath!" Meadow said excitedly, "You said yourself just last week that this house is too small for us. We've got five children, and the babies can't go on using the attic as a nursery!"
"I don't know darling," he said, "It would be alot of work!"
"I'm not scared of hard work." Meadow said defiantly.
"Alright," Heath smiled, "Give Bob a call to arrange a day to check it out."



A few days later, the entire (almost) Buckley family headed out to meet Bob and look at the house. Meadow had left the twins at a friend's house, knowing that they wouldn't be easy to cart around, especially if the garden was as overgrown as it looked.
Bob greeted them cheerfully. "Come in, come in. I'll get this gate open and we'll try and find our way through this jungle, shall we?" He winked at the children.


Bob gave the gate a jiggle. Nothing happened. He tugged it a little harder. "It's just a little stiff," he said to them. Bob pulled and pulled, but still the gate stood fast.


Then he stood back to scratch his head. "Perhaps the latch was on the other side,"he said thoughtfully, pulling on it. The gate swung open.
"Aaah, here we are."


There was nothing else for it but to bash their way through the bushes. The children were obviously finding it a great adventure, but Mrs Buckley was a little more reluctant. She tried her hardest to put her lady likeness aside as she scrambled rather un-daintily through the bushes.


At last, when they emerged from the undergrowth, the family found themselves in a large but very overgrown garden, with a pretty blue roofed house in front of them.


"Come on inside," Bob was already up at the house, holding the door open for them and smiling.


"Oh!" Mrs Buckley exclaimed when she stepped inside, "It's beautiful!"
"A little dusty," Bob said, "But yes, it is quite a nice house."


Mr Buckley especially liked the big opening doors at the front of the house that opened to the veranda.
"This would be perfect for dining in summer evenings." he said.


Upstairs was just as nice, and much more spacious than their current home.


Maria likes the views from upstairs. This would be a lovely place to put a bed... She thought.


"Look Mummy and Daddy!" It seems that Oscar has found the nursery.


He's overjoyed to have his very own baby-sized balcony to look at the pretty views!


This house was obviously built for a family with babies, having such a large nursery. The walls of it are also adorned with pretty pictures.


Meadow loved everything about the house until she found a little gate in the nursery that opened straight into mid-air!
"Oh my goodness Heath! Look how dangerous this is! Whatever could it be for?!"
"Don't worry love, I can board it up." He soothed.

(I actually have no idea what this little gate is for! It literally just swings open to nothing! Seems very dangerous!)

Mr and Mrs Buckley decided to look out the proper balcony.
"Oh Heath, isn't this amazing? I've always dreamed of living in a house with a balcony!"


They listened to the children laughing inside.
"What do you think?" Meadow said softly.
Heath was silent for a long time. "I think the children sound happy and they really like it. This house is way more spacious than our own one, and I think I like it too. Sure, the garden will need abit of work, but it might be fun, doing it as a family."
"So?"
"I think we should buy the place!"
They found Bob down in the garden. After a short discussion and negotiation (Bob wanted to rip himself off and sell it to them far too cheap!) the deal was sealed.
"Congratulations! I'll send you the paperwork tomorrow."



And that is how the Buckleys came to be the proud owners of this pretty little blue roofed house. They can't wait to move in!


To be continued...

Apologies for not posting in a long time!
Hillcrest Home (although I'm going to rename it) is the result of my recent birthday, where I got some lovely presents as well as some money, which I used to buy the adorable Splashy Otters-they're just so cute!
When this house was first released in New Zealand early this year, I wasn't very fond of it. Now, however, I love it! It's got so many cute details and I'm happy to give it to the Buckleys, who were actually my first family, and have been without their very own home for seven years, the poor things!
The only thing I don't really like about this hosue is the name, but I have another one up my sleeve, although it's a suprise!
I hope you are having a wonderful and joyful July!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Kelsie!
    First of all I´d like to wish you a happy belated birthday! It was great you got this house as a birthday gift, not only because it´s a lovely house but also because it inspired you to write this wonderful story. The Buckleys must be so happy to move to such a beautiful place!I love the details on the walls, the big balcony and the baby size balcony, how cute!Hope the move goes smoothly for the Buckleys!

    I´m glad to hear you bought the Splashy Otters!By the way, I´m going to post a story about them! They have also bought a cottage in Sweet Berry Valley and they´re going to move there.

    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Cutata!
      This house is lovely isn't it? I was delighted to get as a birhtday present! The Buckleys were delighted too! I was originally considering giving this house to the Splashy Otters, but then changed my mind as the Buckleys seemed more in need of their own home, with a much larger family.
      The Splashy Otters are very loveable aren't they? I just love the tiny babies and their fishy slings. I hope they're settling down nicely into Sweet Berry Valley. I'm looking forward to the story about them!
      Thanks again! :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Kelsie!

    What a lovely story, with well-considered and cleverly posed photographs. I like Bob Blackberry waiting at the door, Mr & Mrs Buckley's first impressions upon entering the house, looking at the fancy nursery wall, musing whilst stood on the balcony, and the final picture of the two chaps shaking hands. These really bring out their characters.

    I look forward to the continuation of the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Jackson! I'm glad you liked the photos and story! Bob Blackberry is one of my (many!) favourite characters, and I like exploring his personality and character!
      Thanks again! Have a nice rest of the week!

      Delete
  3. A belated happy birthday to you, Kelsie! Lucky you to have received Hillcrest Home - I think it looks lovely, and hope to have it myself one day! I look forward to seeing how the Buckleys choose to furnish it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi GreyRabbit! Thanks for your lovely comment!
    I would definetely recommend Hillcrest Home! It's beautiful, and I think it has a very summery theme with it's big open door to the porch and places to hang a baby swing. I hope you can add it to your collection soon!
    I (the Buckleys) am enjoying furnishing the house, although I often find fitting furniture into a sylvanian house is rather like doing a sudoku, and an annoyingly difficult one too!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Kelsie. Happy belated birthday!
    This is my first time seeing your blog. The story was so realistic to life and so wonderfully cute. My family has recently been also thinking of moving since my little sister doesn't have her own bedroom yet. (!!) The house was adorable but I don't understand why the tiny gate just swung out like that. I currently don't have Hillcrest Home and I didn't know about the dangerously strange gate until now. Yes, Mr Buckley will certainly have to board that up, the family having five children and all. I think they will move in perfectly, I can't wait to see the finished result of the decorated home. XO, Emilie

    Here is the link to my blog: lifeofamaple.blogspot.com
    Hope you like it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emilie! Thank you for your kind words!
      You're right, the gate in the nursery is beyond my comprehension, but it seems terribly dangerous! My mum keeps telling me it must be to connect with other buildings somehow, but I'm not sure! Anyhow, it must have some purpose!
      The Buckleys are very thankful for your kind words regarding the move; things are a little hectic right now, as with any move, but soon they'll be all nicely settled down! I hope all goes well with any possible move in your own family! :)
      I've had a look at your blog and left a comment. Your blog's really sweet and you take great photos! Well done!
      Have a lovely rest of the week!

      Delete
  6. Hi Kelsie!

    First of all, happy belated birthday! :) Congrats on the Splashy Otters, they're adorable!
    I have loved the look of this house ever since it was announced for Japan, and you're very lucky to own it! I loved seeing all the little details it has! I laughed at the baby door opening to nothing, haha! I wonder what it's for!

    I really enjoyed your story, I loved how you presented the home as Agatha saw it during her walk, with its overgrown garden and mysterious aura! It was a very realistic detail that Bob had trouble opening the door, hehe. And very kind of him to sell it to the Buckleys for cheap! I'm sure they'll be very happy there. I look forward to seeing it decorated! :)

    Have a great rest of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ayrell!
      The Splashy Otters are gorgeous aren't they? I was smitten from the moment I saw them, and they're even cuter in real life!
      I love all the details on this house too! I'm still confused with the baby gate though; I'd love to find out what its actually for?! Unfortunately the box didn't show anything to do with it!
      Mrs Buckley is very excited about renovating it! She's always dreamed of decorating her own home! Mr Buckley, however is a little less keen; interior design isn't really his thing... In fact, its probably his worst nightmare! Maybe thats why he was reluctant to buy this house and would have preferred to buy a fully renovated cottage! That way he wouldn't have to wallpaper anything!
      Have a lovely week!

      Delete