Tuesday 2 July 2024

A Frosty Morning - Part Two

It's about time I posted this before we get too far into Winter and the story is irrelevant! It's already a little bit later in the season that what I intended, so let's just pretend this little episode took place about a month or so ago. If you desire a refresher, Part 1 is here.

~~~

By late morning, the warm sun had melted the last of the frost, and Briar's plan had formed. With her scarf wrapped firmly about her neck to ward off the remaining chills, and her bag over her shoulder, she closed the little caravan door and set off on the path that would take her into the village.


In her bag was tucked a letter to Grandmother Mellow. She had taken out her pen and ink and written it that morning. She knew Grandmother would be delighted to here from her. She would be just as delighted at Briar's hopeful request for any knitted goods, whether it be a shawl, a muff, or a pair of mittens. Any such thing would help towards warding off winter's chills.



After the iciness of the early morning, the sun had come out with such a fervor that no evidence of the 
frost remained. Yet Briar felt uneasy - surely it was a sign of a cold winter to come.
Still, it was hard to think of chills when everything was so bright. The sun was so warm on her fur that she rested awhile against a little sunny bank. It is a reasonable walk into the village.


It was as bustling as she remembered on her previous visits. Her first stop was at the Trunk's Shoe Stall, on the edge of the village square.


"Hello," Briar greeted Savannah Trunk, feeling a little awkward. Spending her days living alone, she didn't get the chance to interact with others much.
But Mrs Trunk turned to her with a kind smile. "Miss Wildwood! How lovely to see you! What brings you into town?"
Briar explained the situation. "I'm actually in need of a pair of shoes, with winter coming, you know. I haven't any at all, if you can believe that!" She actually laughed, in spite of her nerves. Mrs Trunk had a way of making everyone feel at ease.


"Of course I can help you with that. Is there anything in particular you were looking for?" Mrs Trunk asked.
"Well..." Briar considered. "They need to be durable and warm, and be waterproof to keep the snow and ice out. And something I can wear hiking and walking." She added.


"We have these leather boots," Mrs Trunk said, showing Briar some smart brown footwear. "They're waterproof apart from where they lace up and are good for hiking. My husband has a pair of his own and they have worn incredibly. Would you like to try them on?"

Briar said that she would.



But when Briar was seated and Mrs Trunk unlaced the shoes to slip them onto her feet, they were found to be far too tight. 
"You rabbits have such lovely long feet," Mrs Trunk said. 


She placed them back on the shelf. She looked very thoughtful.


"You know, I think we might have just the thing." She burrowed around in the cupboard. "This was last year's stock that didn't sell, but we have it just in your size."


"They were marketed as snow boots, but you can wear them in any weather. They're fully waterproof and have good soles too, for grip. How do they fit?"


Briar found they fitted very well. She stood up to admire the boots in the mirror.


"They're just what I was looking for," she said. "But...how much are they?" This was the part she had been dreading. She had skipped having shoes previously not just because they seemed unnecessary but because she was simply too poor. High quality boots were likely to be very expensive.


"Don't worry, sweet." Mrs Trunk seemed to read her mind. "Because they were last year's stock, they're on a big discount. I'm just happy they've found a good home at last."
She packaged them into their box.


A few moments later, Briar was on her way again with a few less pennies but with her own pair of boots.
"Thank you so much." She told Mrs Trunk sincerely. 
"It was my pleasure. Stay warm, sweetheart!"


She headed across the square, dropping her letter at the postbox, before making her way down to the end of the village street, to Mr and Mrs Bramble's tailor and seamstress shop.


There were no other customers at the Needle & Thread and Briar peeked in the open door way.


Mr Bramble was no where to be seen, but Mrs Bramble was sitting cross legged on her bench, measuring cloth to cut. She laid down her scissors when she saw Briar.

"Briar Wildwood! Come in, my dear, come in. I haven't seen you in a long time. How is it in the woods?"


"Quite good, thank you," Briar stepped into the cosy shop with a smile. 
"My, it's been cold lately, hasn't it? I've had three new orders for winter dresses and another for a jacket." Mrs Bramble told her in her slightly shy way. "But what can I do for you?"




"Actually," Briar began, "I was wondering if I could put in an order for a winter jacket as well."

"Of course you can!" Mrs Bramble looked pleasantly surprised. "I'll show you one of my current designs." 
She held up a fleece jacket.


"Anything like that would be lovely." Briar said. 
"I'll just take your measurements then," Mrs Bramble held out a tape measure.


She made a note of the measurements in a little notepad. 
"One more thing - what colour would you like it in?"
She showed Briar her large selection of soft, colourful fabric.


"Red is very popular," Mrs Bramble told her, "But that dark blue is coming into style as well too."
But Briar's eyes had already fallen to the apple green.


"They're all lovely," Briar murmured in admiration, stroking the soft fleeces. "But perhaps the green."
"Ah! Wonderful choice," Mrs Bramble agreed. "Green suits you well."


"It should be ready in a couple of weeks."
"Oh, but there's no rush." Briar protested.
"Oh but there is, my dear! As a mother myself I can't have you being cold." She fixed her kind, twinkly eyes on Briar from beneath her prickles. "I know what it's like. I'll have you snug and warm as soon as I can, rest assured."
"Thank you, Mrs Bramble." Briar said. She gathered up her belongings and farewelled Mrs Bramble.


The walk home was very pleasant, in the refreshing afternoon air. Briar was in high spirits. She had opted to wear her new shoes home, instead of having to carry the box.


She liked the feel of their sturdy grip on slippery mossy banks.





Dew was beginning to collect on the grass and plants by the time she saw the little caravan waiting in its spot in the clearing. It had only been matter of hours, but it seemed a long time since she had left it that morning. 


She opened the door and let herself in. It was cool inside. The stove would need to be lit to ward off the cool before night fell.


Her new boots comfy on her feet. Briar slung her bag off her shoulder and gave a contented sigh. It was good to be home.



~~~

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kelsie!

    I was delighted when I saw you had published the second part of “A frosty morning”.

    What a lovely story and wonderful pictures! You did a brilliant job!

    I´m glad that Briar has found boots in her size and at a reduced price. By the way, which set do these boots belong to?
    It´s true that rabbits have big feet, but not only rabbits. I have the same shoe shop and not all Sylvanians can wear shoes. Most of them are too small and don´t fit properly.

    I love Mr and Mrs Bramble's shop. Did you make it yourself? It´s really cosy .The wallpaper is lovely and so is the beamed ceiling. The Bramble´s shop is well stocked with warm fabrics in different colours. Briar has chosen the right colour. It matches her dress and scarf. Besides, green is the colour of nature and it's only natural that it's one her favourite colour.

    I love how friendly and kind are Mrs. Trunk and Mrs. Bramble. You have chosen two perfect Sylvanians. They always have a smile on their faces.

    It´s good to know that with her new pair of boots, the jacket that she ordered , the warm clothes that her grandmother will knit and, of course ,her thick yellow blanket, Briar won't get cold during the winter months.

    I hope you won't be too cold either. Stay safe and warm!
    Sending you warm summer sunshine and hugs from the other side of the globe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata! I'm pleased that you enjoyed this part of the story. Thank you so much!

      The boots are part of the winter sports set. They're actually ski boots, with grooves on the bottom to connect to the skis, and are meant to be children's size, but Briar was able to squeeze into them for the sake of the story. I wanted her to have shoes, but like you say, none of the other shoes in the shop fitted her. I was disappointed too when I first got the shoe shop and discovered that only a few of my figures were able to fit the shoes.

      My brother and I made the Bramble's shop together a few years ago! I've wanted to use it in a story for a long time so I was pleased to finally feature it. I really like it too, and I want to put in a few more finishing touches and make a proper story about it and the Brambles.

      I love Mrs Trunk and Mrs Bramble too. They exude such warmth. Of course all figures are lovely but the elephants and hedgehogs are ones that do seem very sweet because of their big smiles.

      Briar will certainly be keeping warm now! She just needs a fire place in her caravan, haha! I'm keeping snuggly warm by my fire. Thank you, my friend, I hope you are keeping cool and having a lovely summer! <3

      Delete
  2. Hello Kelsie, I am pleased to have found Part Two of this story today! I am so glad Briar now has her good boots, and some more warm clothes on the way. No doubt Grandmother Mellow is knitting busily already. :)
    You have taken some beautiful photos here, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello GreyRabbit, and thank you for your kind comment! Winter is much more pleasant with some warm clothes, and Briar is finding the chilly weather more enjoyable already. She was hesitant to invest in herself and her own comfort but I'm glad she finally is. It pays off in the end! :)
      Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kelsie!

    I do like how this story rolls out. Briar's personality is so well portrayed. I'm pleased that she experienced such friendly social interactions; I understand the desire for solitude but I think the meetings with Mrs Trunk and Mrs Bramble will have done her good.

    The outdoors photos are super as always and seeing Mrs Bramble's shop added some lovely variety. I loved the picture with the tape measure!

    Thanks for such a great chapter of Briar's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackson! Thanks for your comment!

      You're right, it is good for Briar to go into the village and interact with others. She can be inclined to stay in her own company for weeks without going in. It's always good to meet with others that are kind and warm like Mrs Trunk or Mrs Bramble that can build her confidence.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the photos! Outdoor photography is my favourite, but I'd like to write more about the Brambles and their shop at some stage too!

      Hope you're having a great summer!

      Delete