Thursday 28 February 2019

A Day with Grandma Tailbury

The crafting challenge for the past couple of weeks on the sylvanian forum was about grandparents. Unfortunately, I am rather short of grandparents in my collection. One of these lone grandparents is Mrs Tailbury, from the 'family life at home' series. I also own her grandchildren, Tinker and Bouncer. So here we go with the story:

Tinker and Bouncer Tailbury are very good little children. They love to play quietly in their nursery at home, but sometimes they go and stay at Grandma's house.
Tinker and Bouncer like their Grandma's house, especially her living room, where they spend most of their time.

Mrs Tailbury does alot of knitting, so there is always balls of wool for her grandchildren to play with.


"What are you knitting, Grandma?"
"I'm making you a lovely warm scarf so you can be nice and warm in winter."


Sometimes the babies can be a little too inquisitive. Grandma needs to be careful that she doesn't leave any needles or scissors lying around.


Tinker and Bouncer like looking through her bookcase. There are alot of boring books in there: Vintage Fabrics, Cottage Gardens, Cooking at Home and other subjects that don't entertain young children.


But there are some interesting books that the babies like to look at. They can't read just yet, but they love to look at the pictures.


Sometimes, if they are lucky, Grandma will read them story. Or she will tell them stories about her own life. It's funny to think of Grandma as a little girl. The babies can't imagine her being anything but very old.
There's a big thick woolen rug on the floor in front of Grandma's rocking chair, and it provides a comfortable place to sit while Grandma warbles.


"What's this photo, Grandma?" Tinker asked.
"Aaah, that's a photo of me when I was 14 on my pony Merrylegs. The photo was taken at a gymkhana. We were quite the team, my pony and I. I won many ribbons on her." Grandma looked wistful.


"And look here on the bookcase, babies. This is a photo of your father when he was a teenager."


Another favourite part about Grandma's house is her delicious cookies. Yummy!


Once it's bedtime, Grandma takes Tinker and Bouncer by the hands and takes them to there little bedroom along the hall.


Both Tinker and Bouncer adore the room. They love its ducky wallpaper and the soft white carpet. They don't even have carpet in their nursery at home! (You see, Tinker and Bouncer are Mrs Tailbury's only grandchildren, and the truth is that she rather spoils them! When they were born she had the old spare room renovated in anticipation of them coming to stay!)
She hangs up their clothes and helps them into their pajamas. Unfortunately, Bouncer has decided he would rather wear just a nappy!
"Bouncer Tailbury, get back here right this instant!"


 Tinker has a soft night-gown that Grandma made herself, and Bouncer's pajamas look similar to dungarees.
The children have picked out the teddies they want to sleep with tonight, or at least Tinker has. Sorry Bouncer, your pull ducky would be a bit uncomfortable to sleep with!


"Read us a story!" Tinker asked as she put them in their cots and lifted up the side barricade.


"Alright," she dug around in the drawers to find a book, and began to read. "How about one of the 'Tales of Sylvania' ?"


So they lay in their cosy beds and Grandma read about the tales of old. She read about kings and queens, gallant knights and fair maidens. At last as the particular story she was reading from came to an end, she heard the sound of soft snoring coming from Bouncer's bed.



"Good night, my sweet ones," she whispered as she gazed at them, snuggled up beneath the blankies.


 "Sweet dreams, I love you..." she said, forever grateful for her precious grandchildren. Mrs Tailbury switched off the nursery light and slipped out the door, leaving the babies to sleep in peace...


9 comments:

  1. Hi Kelsie!
    I absolutely adored your story. So sweet! I loved the pictures of the adorable babies exploring the house, and when they were looking at Grandma's pictures. Their pajamas are just precious!
    Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed this! Brought me back to my childhood, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ayrell! I'm glad you liked it! I actually had quite alot of fun setting up Grandma Tailbury's living room. Yes, the babies love their grandma's house. The pajamas are from the Baby Room Set. Glad this story was able to bring back childhood memories for you!
      Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  2. Kelsie, this is a beautiful little story - the perfect way to celebrate grandparents for the challenge! You have really captured that feeling of staying at grandma's house, with everything being different from home, and yet so familiar and safe at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment GreyRabbit! I was originally unsure about the grandparent challenge because besides Mrs Tailbury, George and Mildred Mulberry are the only other grandparents I own! But this idea quickly came to mind, as I love Tinker and Bouncer, and also their grandmother.
      Thanks again! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely story Kelsie and you captured the grandparents challenge so well. Mrs Tailbury is like me with her knitting and her books! I too remember having my grandchildren to stay when they were little and reading them stories, and I still have the books. Mrs Tailbury is indeed a very good grandma. She is obviously very good at reading bedtime stories as Tinker and Bouncer peacefully went off to sleep. Another beautiful story Kelsie and one that took my mind right back. You will be wanting to add to your grandparents too. Bless you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just looked at the photos again and I must compliment you on such beautiful settings Kelsie. What a lovely cottage Mrs Tailbury lives in and she, along with her grandchildren Tinker and Bouncer do have beautiful clothes. I think you are very talented with your needlework skills and the way you set the scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments Pamela! I might have got a little bit of inspiration for Mrs Tailbury from my own grandmother!;) What a coincidence, I too, remember going to stay at Nana's house when I was little!
      Mrs Tailbury has a wonderful way of telling stories, and often the babies find her voice so relaxing, they fall asleep!
      Thank you for saying so, but I don't think my sewing skills are really up to much, although I'm glad you liked the scenes and photos!

      Delete
  5. Hi Kelsie!
    Congrats on this wonderful story! I LOVE it to bits! This is the kind of stories I like to read again and again because it makes me feel good.I can feel the cozy and peaceful atmosphere at grandmas´home and the special relationship she has with her grandchildren. You did a very good job decorating the living room and Tinker´s and Bouncer´s bedroom.They look great!
    Thank you for writing such a sweet and adorable story and for the lovely pictures!
    A big hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cutata, thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so happy you loved it and your kind words have made my day! I'm glad I can repay you for all the beautiful stories that you have written. I still like to read them over and over again and I feel honoured that you think the same about my story!
      I really enjoyed setting up the Tailbury home and choosing wallpaper.
      Thanks again! Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete