Monday, 28 September 2026

A Salty and Sunny Afternoon

Dear friends,

It's been a long time since I posted, but lately, despite the busyness of life, I've been coming back to my Sylvanians. A couple of weeks ago, one sunny afternoon, we drove over to the coast, and I knew as soon as the outing was planned that there would be two small critters eager to come along: Shell and baby Shrimp, of the Cove sea otter family.

The sisters joined my collection a few months ago, and while I don't currently have their parents, they're very content with each other for now. I love everything about their beachy set, including the colour themes and the tiny accessories.

The sisters were full of excited squeaks during the drive, though they had to travel safely with their belongings in my shortbread biscuit tin I use specially for outings. Once we arrived, they settled down in the warm sand. A cool breeze was blowing off the waves, but the spring sunshine was warm, and they were sheltered against the bank of a dune.

First, Shell wanted to swim. Donning her snorkel and mask, she set off to the frothy white waves.

It was just a little bit colder than she had expected! She took a moment to pluck up the courage to dabble her paws in the cold water, and to let the sun's warmth soak into her fur.

Baby Shrimp had brought her mask, too, and had even borrowed a swim ring off her friends in the Atlantis seal family, Bubble and Pearl. 
(The Atlantises were keen to visit the beach too, but unfortunately there wasn't adequate space in the biscuit tin. And Shell and Shrimp had been asking for a long time. Another time for the seals, perhaps!)

Shell took to the shallows with her jellyfish net. I don't believe she caught anything, but out beyond the breakers, we did see some ripples, like that of a sea creature swimming just below the surface.

After their paddles, the sisters took their bucket and went beach combing. 

Together, they collected some lovely shells and pebbles along the sandy shore.

Tucked amongst some rough rocks, Shrimp spied a lovely piece of sea-glass, glowing in the sunshine. Its surface was smooth and sleek, polished by months - perhaps years - of being tossed about in the waves or rubbed against rocks on the sea floor.

The sun was so warm and the world so wide open and big, that Shrimp sat down on a rock awhile to rest. Beach outings can be big trips for little legs! 

However, like all things, even happy afternoons and beach visits draw to an end. The wind picked up, the sun lowered, and it was time to come home. The Cove sisters went home happy and full of salt air and sunshine - the perfect sort of tiredness.
Until next time!


I hope you've enjoyed this post! I really love taking photos of my Sylvanians in the natural world, and as it's a great cure to demotivation and is stress free (no setting up scenes!) I'm thinking this is how my blog might be looking for the foreseeable future. I already have some more spring themed photos I took of the Hunter-Smythe parents last week, and I'm looking forward to introducing them on my blog.

I hope you have a lovely week, dear readers! Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment