Monday 7 January 2019

The Adventures of Yvette Blackberry

A couple of weeks ago I managed to find 'Yvette's Rowing Set' being sold second-hand, and I successfully bought it. I already have Yvette's family, Bob, Betty and Ingrid Blackberry, so I was delighted to finally add her to Bluebell Oaks. I was amazed that her set was complete - she and her belongings were obviously very well looked after.
I know that Yvette and Ingrid Blackberry are the child size, but I've always thought of them as teenagers. Probably beacause they have their own expedition sets, (rowing and camping) they seemed too independent to be young children. So in this story, Yvette is 17 and Ingrid is 16.

It was Saturday morning when Yvette Blackberry packed up the last of her belongings in her Aunt's spare room. She looked wistfully around the room. After living here for the past two years it felt odd that she was leaving. Yvette had spent two years going to a photography school (like a university course) in this village, while staying with her Auntie Jane. Now, she was finally about to return home to Bluebell Oaks - for good.


As she packed away her camera, the last item, she felt a tingle of excitement. It felt so long since she had seen her parents and her sister. There was so much to tell them!


By this evening, she would be safely home at last!


Yvette emerged downstairs to find her Aunt waiting for her. "I've packed you a lunch to eat on the way, and filled your drink bottle."
"Thanks Auntie Jane." Yvette was grateful for how kind and hospitable her Dad's younger sister was.


There was silence in the kitchen as they walked together to the front door. "I'm going to miss you, dear." Auntie Jane smothered Yvette in a perfume scented bear hug. Normally Yvette found her hugs rather claustrophobic, but today she let herself relax in Jane's arms. "I will too." she said.


"Write to me!" Auntie Jane said as she kissed Yvette goodbye on the doorstep. "Send my love to the others. Goodbye Yvette!"
"Goodbye Auntie Jane. Thank you for everything!"


Auntie Jane waved Yvette goodbye as her niece walked down the garden path.


Yvette set off to the bus stop, walking along the grass verge beside the road.


After a short walk, she arrived at the bus stop.


She scanned the bus lists for Bluebell Oaks, checking the time table. Her heart dropped when she read that the Bluebell Oaks bus was out of order.


  Typical, she sighed. Bluebell Oaks was a remote village and the road to it went through a lot of hills and valleys. Also the bus that usually did the Bluebell Oaks run was unreliable, so the rough terrain had probably become too much for it.


Had Yvette been a different sort of girl, she might have headed straight back to her Aunt's, but Yvette was courageous and independent. So when she saw that sign, she just thought, Oh well, it'll be a long walk, but if I start now I just might make it home by nightfall. It was a long journey, and Yvette knew it. But it had been such a long time since she had seen her family. She had anticipated this day for so long, the thought of turning back and waiting for the bus to be fixed -however long that may be- was unbearable.


 So she walked away from the bus stop, and left the village, on her journey home.


She crossed grassy meadows.


Climbed steep and slippery slopes.


And inched her way along a mossy ledge.


Yvette had always been an adventurous girl and she craved the outdoors. She was actually rather enjoying herself.
Occasionally, she would pull out her camera to take photos of wildflowers.


She stopped for lunch in a clearing under the shade of some tall trees. Her Aunt had packed a tasty lunch, and Yvette was starving.


By late afternoon, the thrill of the adventure had worn off. She was hot, dusty, tired, and sick of lugging her heavy bags around. Never in her life had she longed so much for a bike. Just then, a car pulled up besside her. "Yvette?" a voice called, "Yvette Blackberry, is that you?"


 Yvette turned to the driver.  It was Cedric Walnut, the owner of the Village Store in Bluebell Oaks. "Going to the village?" he asked. "Throw your gear in the back and jump in."


 Yvette sunk gratefully in to the soft seat. Cedric was well known in the village for his kindness and hospatality. Today was no exception to his good mood. On the way, they chatted about the happenings in the village while Yvette had been away.


It wasn't long before they arrived in Bluebell Oaks. Yvette felt a thrill of happiness. Back in her own village at last!


As Cedric dropped her off at the end of her driveway, she smiled at him. "Thanks Cedric, I really appreciate it."
"No problem Yvette. It's good to have you back!"


As she knocked on the door of her house, she heard voices inside. "Were you expecting anyone Ingrid?" Her mother said.
"No. But I'll get it."


 The door swung open and there was Ingrid standing there, gaping at Yvette. "Well Ingrid, aren't you going to ask me in?" Yvtte smiled. Ingrid had assumed it would just be a friend of her Dad's or something. The sight of her older sister, who was supposed to be back at photography school had really thrown her.


"Yvette!!!" she squealed, throwing her arms around her sister.


There was a tearful reunion as the family hugged.


"Now," Betty said when they were all inside. "Sit down, I've just made cookies. I'll run you a good hot bath, you must be exhausted after all that travelling. But first, young lady, you're going to tell us just how you got here."
"I walked."
"Why on earth didn't you take the bus?"
"It was down, and I so wanted to come home."
Her mother and father couldn't help smiling as they glanced at each other. Yvette had always been strong willed, but at moments like these they couldn't help but laugh at her crazy determination.


"Come on sis," Ingrid interrupted, "I want to show you something."


They went out the front door together.


They stopped at Blacksock's paddock to feed him a carrot.


Then Yvette realised Ingrid was taking her tho the old storage shed. Inside it was dusty and dim, but Yvette could see an object covered with a sheet.


 Ingrid yanked it off and there was a beautiful little boat. Yvette gasped. It was her boat, it had been a gift from her family on her 14th birthday. She had forgotten about it until now.


 She ran her fingers gently along the paintwork. Yvette had always loved the river, and she adored rowing. She turned to her sister, her eyes shining. There was so much to look forward to, now that she was home. There would be rowing expeditions, rides across the farm together on their ponies, camping trips... It was all so exciting. "I'm so glad to be home." Yvette said softly. And she meant it.



I love the Blackberry's, I'm glad that I have completed their family. I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has been reading and commenting on my blog, I really appreciate it. Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. This is such an exciting story Kelsie! I was so concerned for Yvette's safety when she decided to walk home, such a long way. Thank heavens for the arrival of Cedric. He certainly is a kind and caring man. Well done Kelsie for managing to procure Yvette and the extras in such a good condition. Oh my goodness these stories are becoming very exciting. Well done once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela! Thank you for your comment! Don't worry, Yvette was perfectly safe on the journey, just very tired.
      Cedric Walnut is famous in the village for his kindness and he loves to help others out.
      Yes, I was lucky to get Yvtte's set in such good condition.
      Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, what a cool story! I loved all the pictures and reading about Yvette's adventure!

    How brave of her to just make the trip on foot when the bus was down! But I can definitely understand that she was looking forward to see her family. :) And she saw many gorgeous landscapes on the way!

    She was lucky that Cedric happened to pass by! No wonder she was starting to get tired!

    I'm glad that she and her family are now reunited and that she's finally back home. Looking forward to reading more of her adventures!

    I love the Blackberry rabbits and hope to add the Juice Bar to my collection at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ayrell! Thanks for looking at my blog, and the kind comment! The truth is that Yvette actually enjoyed the journey! She definetely saw some neat landscapes!(my garden)
      The Blackberry's are gorgeuos, aren't they? The juice bar is really sweet, with the little fruits and the blenders. Betty is lovely too. I hope you manage to add it to Arcfield at some point!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kelsie!
    Congrats on this great story! I really enjoyed reading it and looking at your beautiful pictures.
    Yvette´s adventure was very exciting! I was very surprised when she said she was going to walk home carrying all her luggage. That pink suitcase looked quite heavy! I was relieved when I saw a car and even more when I read it belonged to a villager from Bluebell Oaks.
    You were very lucky to find this set with all the accessories. No wonder you´re happy to have all the family reunited. The BlackBerry rabbits are lovely.
    Hope Yvette keeps in touch with her auntie Jane. I´m sure she is going to miss her. By the way, I love Jane´s dress and the sunflower wallpaper in the kitchen . I have the feeling yellow is her favourite colour. I spotted some yellow tulips in front of her house too.

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata! Thank you very much for your comment!
      Yvette is certainly very courageous and she wasn't afraid to walk all that way. The pink suitcase is actually from the 'Sky Ride Adventure' set.
      Don't worry, Yvette will definetely write to her Auntie Jane and may even still come back to stay.
      Thank you for saying you like Jane's dress. I managed to sew it myself, with ALOT of help from my Mum (I'm not a very good sewer!) I'm glad you can't notice the terrible stitching! You're right, Jane does love the colour yellow.
      Thank you! :)

      Delete